Join others from the St. John’s community in a fun weekend of camping at Shirttail Creek Campground on the North Shore of Sugar Pine Reservoir in the lovely Tahoe National Forest!
- Shirttail Campground is located on the north shore of Sugar Pine Reservoir, in the Tahoe National Forest, 15 miles from Foresthill. Visitors enjoy the area for its fishing, canoeing and hiking opportunities.
- Sugar Pine Reservoir covers 160 acres at an elevation of 3600 feet. The campground is located in a forest of manzanita and ponderosa pine. Summertime temperatures are warm during the day (typically a high of 85 degrees) and cool at night (typically a low of 55 degrees). Most campsites are shaded but a few have direct sun from morning until late afternoon.
- Fishing, canoeing, swimming and boating are popular activities on the reservoir. A paved, non-motorized trail circles the campground and connects to the day use area and Giant Gap Campground. The lake can be breezy at times during the afternoon.
- The North Fork of the American River is nearby, with additional fishing and swimming. Many miles of hiking, biking and off-road vehicle trails are in the surrounding area.
- RVs are welcome (limited space available)
We have reserved the sites 9, 12, 13, 25, 29 & 30
- Space is available for 54 people (infants not included)
- The cost is $10 per person or $30 per family for the whole weekend. Infants are free!
- Campsites will be assigned upon arrival and to accommodate specific camping equipment, vehicles and maximum occupancy restrictions. Several campsites accommodate multiple families and vehicles. Vehicle parking passes will be distributed upon arrival once we have a chance to meet with the campground host who issues them.
Most of the weekend will be unstructured to allow folks to relax and enjoy themselves. There will be a few activities in which all are encouraged to participate. They are:
- Communal Potluck Dinners
- Friday: Welcome Happy Hour
- Bring some beverages and an appetizer to share and mingle with others as we kick off a weekend of fun and relaxation!
- Starts at 5 p.m.
- Saturday Breakfast and Dinner
- Breakfast begins when most campers are awake & moving (8 a.m.)
- Dinner bell rings at 6 p.m. sharp!
- Potluck style meals (sign-ups will be emailed to you two weeks before the trip)
- Nightly Campfires
- The church is providing all the fixings for S’mores; all you have to do is bring your own roasting stick! Firewood for the evening fire will be provided by the church. Additional firewood for other fires may be purchased at your own expense. If you have a musical instrument, please consider bringing it and sharing your talent with others during campfire times.
- Saturday Lakeside Water Sports and Picnic
- You are encouraged to bring your kayaks, rafts, water toys or anything that floats for a day in the sun on the shore of Sugar Pine Reservoir. We typically find a stretch of beach and populate it with E-Z UP shade shelters and umbrellas on Saturday morning so that we have a spot to enjoy all day by the lake. For peace of mind, you are encouraged to bring life jackets for children who want to play in the lake as there is no lifeguard on duty.
- Sunday Morning Church Service
- This will be a simple, casual service beginning at 10 a.m. and ending at 10:30. Communion will be served by Pastor Jon.
Reservations will be accepted through June 10 and are filled on a first come, first served basis.