Sept. 29, 1867: On that date, St. John’s Lutheran Church held its first worship service at 9th and K Streets. It was led by Pastor Matthias Goethe.
Dec. 1, 1867: Twenty-three members signed St. John’s first charter.
Sept. 1873: The congregation grew so rapidly that the original space was too small and the church moved to 12th and K.
1877: The Church purchased two large bells, reportedly the first in the city. Today, those bells still ring majestically.
1910: St. John’s growing congregation prepared for the future again, buying the site at 17th and L for $27,000. Many believed it was too far from downtown.
Dec. 10, 1911: Workers laid the cornerstone for the building in which we worship today.
Oct. 6, 1912: The new church was dedicated, including the beautiful sanctuary we enjoy today. The cost was $106,000, about $2 million in today’s dollars.
Oct. 12, 1912: St. John’s Lutheran Church at 17th and L was dedicated.
1949: A remodeling project added the pulpit, the new front steps, and improved lighting and heating.
1957: The education wing was added.
1967: The church’s 100th anniversary. A major project was completed, including remodeling of the sanctuary, installing a new organ, and the purchase of the lot and building which is now Goethe Hall.
1972: Goethe Hall was remodeled and dedicated.
1977: New parking space was added.
2002: A Master Site Plan was overwhelmingly approved by the congregation.
June 15, 2008: The refurbished sanctuary was dedicated with Bishop David Mullen joining Pastors Sorensen, Espegren and LaTorre in the worship services.
July 12, 2008: St. John’s hosted the Installation of Rev. Mark W. Holmerud as Bishop of the Sierra Pacific Synod of the ELCA with Bishop Mark Hanson presiding.